Sunday, January 2, 2011

The Vegan Experience

January 2011
For the month of January, Will and I have decided to try a vegan diet.  For those of you who may not know exactly what a vegan diet is, here is what my friends at dictionary.com have to say:

veg·an

[vej-uhn; especially Brit. vee-guhn]
–noun
a vegetarian who omits all animal products from the diet.
Use vegan in a Sentence.  "Melanie and Will are vegan."
 
"Why would someone want to do this?" is probably what you are asking yourself at this point. Good question.  The answer is "I don't know."  Will convinced me to try being a vegan because he read about Rich Roll, an ultra-endurance athlete, who is a vegan, and he is apparently... awesome.
 
I agreed to try it for the month of January.  How hard can it be, right?  I'm already a vegetarian.  Well, let me tell you that after one trip to the grocery store, it is proving difficult and expensive. Let's just say that I can't have any of my Lean Cuisine pizzas or pastas that I love so much, nor can I have milk chocolate (except for the Hershey Kisses that are already in the freezer, I mean, I don't want to be wasteful!).  But I'm willing to go with it for a test-period and if I get positive results, i.e. my weight decreases, my face and skin become clearer, or my energy level skyrockets, then it might be worth something.
 
So here goes... check back on me in a month and I'll let you know how it went.
 
Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment