Thursday, January 6, 2011

Vegan Update

I confess, I ate chocolate...non-vegan chocolate. It's so hard for me to avoid the milky, sweet chocolate I enjoy so much!  I cooked a delicious vegan soup and have been able to be a vegan except for the chocolate part. So, I'm trying to decide... do I continue with this challenge and be a vegan who eats chocolate or do I forget the experiment all together and eat as a regular vegetarian again?

Here is the vegan soup that I made:
1 shallot, minced
1 clove garlic, minced
2 T minced, fresh ginger
2-3 cups vegetable broth (depends how thick/thin you want the soup)
1-2 cups almond milk (or alternative to milk - coconut etc)
1/2 pack extra-firm tofu, cubed
Juice of 1 lemon
1 T coriander
Dash of cayenne pepper
2 T soy sauce (or similar, I used Bragg's)
Veggies, of your liking.  I used fresh spinach leaves and mushroom; but broccoli, cauliflower or even a grain like quinoa would be good in this.  Also, bok choy would be delicious.

Saute shallot, garlic and ginger in a big pot (I used my Le Creuset and it worked great b/c there's a lot of liquid to add).  Add broth and almond milk. Bring to a boil, then turn down and simmer.  Add tofu, lemon, coriander, cayenne, soy sauce and veggies of your choosing.  Let simmer until hot, maybe 15 to 20 minutes. 

Pour into bowls and add a handful of fresh spinach leaves.  They will get limp with the heat of the soup.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment