Monday, October 24, 2011

Trek Across the West

We are in Seattle, WA after having driven for four days across the country.  We have actually been here since Wednesday afternoon, but we don't have internet at our rental yet, hence the delay in postings.

I have a few topics to post about, so I'll summarize into three parts. 
Part I: The Drive.
Part II: The Ride.
Part III: The Hike.

Sounds exciting, right? haha..

Part I: The Drive.
The trip consisted of four days of driving, roughly 575 miles each day (trip totaled 2,210 miles).  We broke it up into the following segments: Day One: Dallas, TX - Hays, KS, Day Two: Hays, KS - Rawlins, Wy, Day Three: Rawlins, WY - Boise, ID, and Day Four: Boise, ID - Seattle, WA. 

Notable events during the drive included:
. Seeing wind energy windmills
. Snow and ice in Wyoming
. Multiple animals {antelope which I almost hit, deer, sheep, cows, wild horses and goats}
. Going through a windstorm in Denver, blowing my bike halfway off the rack, twice
. Lovely fall colors, mountains, winelands and apple orchards
. Seeing beautiful and diverse scenery in the 9 states that we crossed through -- TX, OK, KS, CO, UT, WY, ID, OR, WA.  It's amazing how different each state's topography is.  Although it was a long drive, I am happy we did it, because I would, most likely, never have seen the parts of the country that I did.
. Ah, one more notable event was the sign in the Subway in Oklahoma that read 'Out of lattuce, sorry for the incoivnienace'.  Made me laugh.
View I saw for four days.
Tumbleweed! I actually caught a photo as it was blowing!

Dinner at Pizza Hut, delicious.

Cows, in Kansas I think.


Entering Wyoming

Coldest point, 26 degrees (maybe highest, too?) on the trip.
In Wyoming, saw snow.







Downtown Boise, ID. They have bike parking.

Boise, ID state capitol.




Oregon

Wrong turn?! Nope, different Dallas.

Winelands in Washington.

First sign of Seattle...almost there!


Cascade Mountains, Washington

Tired, but finally at our new home.
Part II: The Ride.
Our second day in Seattle, we decided to take a ride around town on our bikes and explore.  It was drizzling slightly and we got a bit lost, but eventually found our way home.  On our second bike ride (yesterday), we had much better luck, with sun all day and didn't get lost!
Found Will's 'brothers in the bond' - UW Phi Delt.

With my bike, 'Wiliana.'
Part III: The Hike.
On our third day, we took a hike in the Cascade Mountains.  The trail we hiked was on Cougar Mountain, called Bear Trail.  It was a beautiful hike and the weather cooperated.  One of many hikes we will take, I'm sure!





I spotted lots of slugs along the trail, but no other animals.


Me acting like a bear.
Isn't this a cool picture of a spider web?

So, that's about it for now.  We are getting into our groove here.  Will started work today and I am spending most of my day today at the library getting free wi-fi and some work done.  Check back later for more updates :)

1 comment: