Friday, October 28, 2011

Busy in Ballard

My in-laws came in town this week to see our new digs in Seattle (I guess I should say to see our 'airbeds', but you know what I mean) and really they came because it's Will's 30th birthday today! Yes, he is getting to be an old and distinguished man ;)

Since Will has been at work this week, I've been entertaining Mr and Mrs E the best I can.  So far, weather has been very cooperative.  Yesterday we went to the Ballard Locks to see where the ships come through the canal system from Lake Washington out into the Puget Sound.  It was really neat to see them raise and lower the water levels to let the ships in and out.  We also got to see a few salmon migrating through the 'Salmon Ladder' and walk around the gardens at the locks.

The gates open and close to change the water level
and let the boats through.





Mr E thought he would be funny and chase the geese...
who's laughing now? Not the man with poo on his shoe!

A salmon making his/her way through the ladder.






So, the next stop after the locks was over to the fisherman's terminal to see the fish boats.  It was a really nice day and I've never been this close to a 'working' shipyard before.

After the fisherman's terminal, we went on a scenic drive through some of Seattle's neighborhoods.  We found some amazing views in Magnolia of the Puget Sound, The Olympic Mountains, and Mt Rainier (but you probably can't see it in my photos).
 


The last activity of the night was a bit humorous. 
Only the best for company!

And today...
Since I have a minute to post, I'll go ahead and put up a few photos from this morning.  As I mentioned, today is Will's birthday and he loves opening presents.  My present to him was moving to Seattle.  So, before he went to work, first thing this morning, his parents let him open his birthday present. He may be 30 but he still acts like a little kid.

Baked French Toast.  It was delicious!
Happy birthday Will!

No comments:

Post a Comment