Tuesday, December 21, 2010

2010 Book Review

Here's the list... check it twice... so you'll know if a book was naughty or nice...
I am a fairly avid reader by most standpoints and I always appreciate it when someone suggests a good book to me.  So, I thought I'd do a short and simple book review of the books I read in 2010 in case you're looking for a good read (or what to avoid!).

Naughty
I will go ahead and state that I am not claiming to have a great taste in books and most everything I read is fiction and easy reading. So the books listed below are not necessarily bad books, just ones that I did not particularly enjoy. (And Rose, or anyone in my book club who may have recommended anything below, sorry, but these were not good.)
Primal: A Quest for the Lost Soul of Christianity By: Mark Batterson
Naturally Thin By: Bethenny Frankel
Parrot and Olivier in America By: Peter Carey
A Confederacy of Dunces By: John Kennedy Toole
*Netherland By: Joseph O'Neil
Tortilla Curtain By: T.C. Boyle
Real Estate Sales Professionals
Sales and Marketing 101 for Real Estate Professionals

*I did not read this book, but everyone at my book club hated it.

Nice
Into Thin Air By: Jon Krakauer
The Piano Teacher By: Janice Lee
Into the Wild By: Jon Krakauer
Push By: Sapphire
Memoirs of a Geisha By: Arthur Golden
The Girl Who Played with Fire By: Stieg Larsson
Water for Elephants By: Sara Gruen
The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets Nest By: Stieg Larsson
Contagious Joy By: The Women of Faith
Mennonite in a Little Black Dress By: Rhoda Janzen

So-So
I decided to create a third category of books that were only okay.  If these books are available to you for free or you have nothing else to read, they aren't bad.

Born to Run By: Christopher McDougall
Committed By: Liz Gilbert
Slouching Towards Bethlehem By: Joan Didion
The Bell Jar By: Sylvia Plath

On My List
I've just picked up The Art of Racing in the Rain By: Garth Stein for our trip to Atlanta for Christmas and have read great reviews about it, so hopefully this will go on my nice list. And, I'm also currently reading Three Cups of Tea By: Greg Mortenson.

Here are some more that are on my list for 2011 (in no particular order), so if you have read these or read reviews about these, please let me know!

Eiger Dreams
Tipping Point
She's Come Undone
The Glass Castle
Love in the Time of Cholera
Girl in Translation
The Long Song
Touching the Void
The Nineteenth Wife
*The Forgotten Garden
*The Hunger Games
*If I Loved You I Would Tell You This
*Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World
*Don't Let's Go to the Dogs Tonight
*Even Silence Has an End
*Too Good for Her Own Good
*Secret Life of Bees
*Like Water for Chocolate
*The Good Earth

*Book club books for 2011.

Sorry if this post was boring for you, keep it in mind if you are ever looking for a good book. If you would like details on any of the books I've read, just let me know.

Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment