Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Running is Pleasure; Pleasure is Running

No, it's not an oxymoron (I know lots of you are thinking that).  Running really can be enjoyable and productive.  For example, when I run I'm able to multi-task; burn calories and let my mind wander.  One thought that frequents my mind is 'Ah, I've burned like 400 calories, I'm awesome!'  (let me just note, that 400 calories does not equal half a carton of Dryer's Light Cookie Dough ice cream...it's good...so good that I've had to throw out part of the past two cartons I've bought because I have NO self control!).  It's refreshing to have time to yourself to decompress, de-stress and not feel obligated to be doing anything else.  Plus, while I have never had a 'runner's high' while running, I don't know many things that make me feel as good as when I've finished a run.  Today when I was running, I was thinking about what to post on my blog and ... a-ha! ... a 'running' post.

Let's back up just a bit.  I am a pretty serious runner (compared to most, not my husband, or most of his friends for that matter).  This was not always so, just within the past year or so have I gotten more intense.  I used to just go for casual jogs, say, around a 9:30 to 10:00 minute pace per mile.  Now I'm running closer to an 8:15 to 8:30 minute per mile pace.  Why is this you say?

Enter Newtons.


These puppies make you run...fast!  I started wearing their entry-level shoe last year and just recently switched to the racer trainer (pictured above).  Visit their website: http://www.newtonrunning.com/ for more information on where to buy. **Hey, Newton, if you are reading this, I wear a 7.5 and would love another pair!**  Basically, they re-teach you how to run, correct your stride and help you avoid injury and increase your speed.  I swear, they work.  The only down-sides are that: 1. They only make one color per model, so instead of getting a nice pink shoe that I would prefer to run in, I have to get what I have affectionately dubbed 'ketchup and mustard shoes' because that's the 'level' that I am currently in and 2. They are expensive.  The entry level is the least expensive; they hook you and then raise the price.

So, moving on.  I love running, most days. Check back with me when it's cold, humid, windy, etc! haha  One thing I particularly love about running is that hardly anyone passes me anymore.  At least, any women. And the men who pass me are usually real runners, so I don't feel so bad.  What does extremely annoy me is when people who don't look like real runners pass me.  Like today for example, I heard really loud, clompy foot steps approaching from behind. I'm thinking 'Oh crap, someone is going to pass me.'  Then I see that it's a slightly over-weight man, dripped in sweat, wearing baggy shorts (non-runner style) and bulky K-Swiss shoes. Not a real runner.  And he passes me.  But then, about two minutes later, he is already walking and I glide right by him in my running skirt.  Ha! Take that!

Lastly, if you are ever feeling in a running slump and need motivation, cute running clothes always help to pick me up.  I am a devotee of the running skirt, in fact, that's all I wear now.  They are much more comfortable than shorts and much cuter. 

If you've made it to the end of this post (with only one photo) I assume it's either: a) you are a runner, b) you are now considering running c) really enjoy my writing or d) really bored.  Whatever your reason, thanks for reading.  And if you are interested in running or want to know some great places to shop for running clothes, just ask.

1 comment:

  1. its a little motivating...i think because you make it sound fun! and lee needs new running shoes, i'll mention them to him!

    ReplyDelete