Thursday, May 5, 2011

Galveston H.I.M.

Long delay between posts, I know. Sorry, but it's been so nice outside that I haven't wanted to sit inside and blog.

But, now is the time and I have a few things to catch you up on.  First topic is Galveston H.I.M. For those of you (most of you... normal! people) who don't know what H.I.M. stands for, it means 'Half Ironman'.  As in, triathlon.

This was Will's training race for his Ironman this June.  We spent the weekend in Galveston, TX and I'm thinking, well this should be nice, beach town, outside, lovely...right?  WRONG!  Galveston is gross and sticky (and I'm from Alabama, so I know humidity!).  It may sound like I am being harsh, but I expected a lot more out of a 'beach town' and this city did not deliver.  It was old, run-down, and didn't even have nice beaches.  Maybe my standards are too high since I'm used to the white sand beaches my home has to offer.

But, we weren't there for vacation, we were there to race!  And race Will did.  He had his personal best and I was able to offer a lot of support throughout the day because the course looped and I got to see him quite often to cheer him along.

Another nice part of the day was that while he was out on his bike portion (56 miles), I was able to get in a nice run and a shower at the host hotel.  This was the first race that the pro's were at that we've been to, and it was neat to get to see their bikes and hear them speak the day before the race.

And now, a few photos from our sticky, but successful weekend in Galveston.
Nicest rest stop I've been to - had a playground and a nature trail

Playground at the rest stop!

We were with this other car all the way from Dallas to Houston


Transition at the HIM - Moody Gardens was the host hotel

Doggles! Hahahahahahaha

Some of the pro's

Of course I made Will get his picture with them!







*While I am not a fan of the island of Galveston, I will say that it looks like a jewel when compared to Texas City, Texas. 

No comments:

Post a Comment