Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Ice, Ice, Baby...

No Work Today = All Play
Well, all play that is limited to being inside...

Last night it started icing about four o'clock a.m.  When we woke up, the driveway and all the roads were covered with ice.  The high for today is 20 and it won't get much warmer for the next few days.  Being a resident of Dallas, Texas, when it snows a little or if there is any ice, most of the city shuts down (no plows) including...my work!

So far my day off has consisted of doing laundry, drinking coffee, drinking hot tea, eating oatmeal, reading my book If I Loved You I Would Tell You This by: Robin Black, watching two episodes of Barefoot Contessa (!), making an egg white and vegetable scramble, and reading my Bible study Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World by: Joanna Weaver.  The chapter I read today was called "Living Room Intimacy" and it is about creating a place in your home/heart that you spend quality time with Jesus.  It was an inspiring chapter and I wanted to share a little bit with you.

He (Jesus) said: "The trouble with you is this: You have been thinking of quiet time, of the Bible study and prayer time, as a factor in your own spiritual progress, but you have forgotten that this hour means something to Me also."

It never dawned on me that our time with Jesus is something he waits for and wants every day and that He will be there waiting for us, even if we fail to show up.  A relationship with Him doesn't just 'happen,' we have to devote time to it, nurture it, and protect it.

If I don't take time to read God's Word, I won't hear his loving call.  And if I don't make time to be alone with Jesus, our relationship will suffer, because time is integral to any relationship.

How very true this is.  Lately, I have found myself committing to every invitation that comes my way.  My 'social' calendar and volunteer obligations have been taking up lots and lots of my time.  But I realized that I don't have to do everything.  Time at home with my husband and time with God is more important.  So, I am making an effort to do a better job at prioritizing my time for the things that matter most.

For those of you who made it through this entry, I hope you enjoyed it.  If you are looking for a Bible study, I am really enjoying Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World.  It's easy to relate to and breaks things down simply for you.

A posting wouldn't be complete without some photos, so here are some from the 'ice' day; a day I truly needed.

Squirrel on our deck eating a nut...and you thought fur coats weren't needed in Dallas!

Ice/snow covered deck

My cozy reading nook


2 comments:

  1. I'm reading the same book with a friend of mine. I just love it! -Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh cool! I feel like I could have written some of the chapters.. some of them are spot-on to how I feel.

    ReplyDelete