Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Hoh Rainforest

How was your Memorial Day weekend?  I hope it was nice.  Mine was lovely, I spent it camping in the Hoh Rainforest on the Olympic Peninsula.  Yes, you heard me correctly, I used 'lovely and camping' in the same sentence.  Will wanted to go backpacking and I was hesitant at first for several reasons, but then I decided to try it before knocking it, and much to my surprise, I had a great time.  It was so nice to disconnect from everything for a few days, and just relax.  We backpacked in about 6 miles to our campsite, Happy Four, along the Hoh River Trail.  We set up our little tent, made a fire each night, cooked on our camping stove and did a day hike up the trail about 5 more miles.  The water was the the clearest and bluest water I've seen in the US -- it looked aqua, because it comes off of Mt. Olympus (where the trail eventually dead-ends).  I felt extremely self-sufficient and at peace.  The rainforest was totally cool --- it's an actual rainforest in the state of Washington; who would have thought?  There were tons of different types of trees and plants, and definitely the biggest Cedar's I've ever seen.  We saw a few animals on our trip, luckily no bears ;)  On the drive into the rainforest we saw two elk, then during the trip we saw a few more animals -- birds, small squirrel-like things, two snakes, and a fox! 

If you have not camped lately, and have the opportunity to, I suggest trying it.  Un-plug and engage with nature :)

















I forgot to mention, for all you Twilight fans, we drove through Forks, WA to get to the Hoh. 

No comments:

Post a Comment