Monday, November 5, 2012

Vantage Point

noun.
A position that affords a broad overall view or perspective, as of a place or situation.

That's exactly what we had in Vantage, Washington last weekend.  We bought a rope and supplies and took our climbing lessons out for a test to the rocks in Vantage.  The basalt columns were formed in the ice-age and the area climbers dubbed 'Frenchman Coulee' became popular around the '80's.  There are over 400 routes in the basin; a mix of sport and trad.

It was our first trip outdoors without a guide, so the goal was not to get hurt.  We succeeded!  I figured I'd go ahead and let you know so you don't feel anxious throughout this post ;)  We camped in the lot off of Vantage Road, just below the looming walls and spent half of Saturday and Sunday climbing.  Lead climbing is in a totally new ballpark from top-roping and I really enjoyed it.  The toughest route I lead was a 5.9 and it felt awesome.  You could see for miles from the top of the routes and I've already picked out what I want to go back and climb next!
Climbers at 'The Feathers.'


Will preparing to climb.

Me getting ready to lead. Do you notice how my
outfit, shoes, harness, helmet, (and toenail polish) are all
purple?  That's not a coincidence :)

At the top of a route.

Vantage point.



At the camp-sight overseeing shrimp jambalaya.





No comments:

Post a Comment